Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mozambique - Heart of Joy - November 9, 2007

November 9, 2007

Hello from a very hot and humid Mozambique . Yes, we are entering into our rainy season. Temperatures have been in the 90 degree range with humidity in the 70% range. We are only beginning summer. J A couple of days ago I was entertained by a small cyclone that whipped through the area knocking down many branches and mangos from the trees, as well as toppling over one of the mango trees in our mango grove. Last night, November 8, after our Bible School graduation, Father was lightening up the sky with His fantastic fireworks which we call thunder and lightening. It was spectacular.

Since the first of October I have been traveling a great deal. I spent two weeks in Pemba where I had an amazing time of rest, great fun and being loved on by precious friends. It was fantastic…exactly what I needed and had asked Father for. While in Pemba the Holy Spirit refreshed me and filled me with His great joy. He reminded me of the vision He had placed in my heart before coming to Mozambique …the heart of an evangelist and more specifically bush evangelism. Upon coming back to Dondo my heart was rekindled with His great joy and purpose. Also while in Pemba I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a lot of time with my precious Mozambiquen brother and friend Chico . The last time I saw Chico was 1 ½ years ago when I was in Pemba . The reunion was sweet. He really blew me away with thanksgiving to Jesus to see what God is doing in his life. I was really blessed and spoiled at times by Chico while there….it was great fun. During the last three days that I was in Pemba I went on an outreach into the bush with Chico , two other long term missionaries, Mozambique students from the Bible School and students from the Holy Given Missions School. Such joy was sparked in my heart as I lead a group of these people into the village to witness and pray for the sick. Words of knowledge were flowing and hearts were being touched and transformed with each person I encountered. There is so much I could say about this trip that it could fill a chapter in a book talking about the marvelous things that God did. It was really fun helping lead this team of Mozambiquen and international students into the bush to see God’s kingdom invade. To give a taste of what God was doing I will tell of our ride back to Pemba . The Sunday when we were on our way back to Pemba our trucks tire went flat so we had to stop on the side of the road to fix it. Well, to fix anything like a tire when you are away from home in Africa is not a small task and takes time. Thankfully where we ended up stopping was in front of a bar and across the road from a market. Knowing it would be no small task to fix the tire on the truck we went into the bar to drink sodas and rest while a few guys worked on the flat tire issue. The individual working in the bar was a boy of about 12 years of age. I asked to speak with the individual who worked there and they said this young boy was the owner. His Dad had died and left his son (this young boy) to take his place in running the bar. Nothing seems to surprise me anymore here in Mozambique . During these three days I felt like everywhere I went the Holy Spirit kept bringing me divine appointments, including in the bar. A man that was in the bar was trying to speak with one of the missions students, but since the student did not speak Portuguese he did not understand so I went to interpret for him. The man was asking for a job. As I looked into his eyes I saw that he was a very broken individual that was without hope. As he sat there with a glass of alcohol in front of him and a muslim hat on his head he began to tell me how both his parents had died during the war, he was without work and how he had no one to go to for help. He said, “You can ask anyone here. They all know I am suffering that is why I am here trying to bring some peace to all the thoughts.” From that point I stepped in with the love and power of the Holy Spirit guiding Him to Jesus. His eyes filled with tears as he gazed towards the ground as if wondering if what I was saying was truth, yet knowing it was. There was another gentleman who was sitting with him in the bar on that day who kept encouraging him to listen to what I was saying. The mission school student and myself prayed for him and when we were finished another man who was just passing through and heard what I was saying came up to him and told him to listen and follow what was just told to him because it was truth. This passer-bier told me how he used to go to church, but “had been away from God” for many years but he knew it was truth. Again, another divine appointment opened up to minister to this person who was ‘just passing by’. God knew why we had to stop at that bar on that cloudy Sunday afternoon.

When I arrived back in Dondo I was only here for about two days before I had to leave again for Zimpeto and then off to South Africa . I took one of our boys, Nelson, to our base in Zimpeto so that he could have some tests done on his brain as he has had a few episodes of seizures which have become more violent. Since they only could do the tests at the Maputo hospital I left him in the care of a precious friend and nurse, Iara, who is at our Zimpeto base while Lisa and myself went to South Africa to apply for our residency visas so we can get our DIREs. Well, God granted us great favor and we got our residency visas that we need to apply for our DIREs. Praise Jesus!!! All of Nelson’s tests came back clear. Another Praise Jesus!!! But the doctor has put him on epilepsy medicine which he has to take twice a day. I am declaring healing in Nelson. Nelson was our first boy to ever fly in an airplane or go anywhere as far as Zimpeto so it was a big adventure and excitement not only for him, but the rest of our boys. Of course they all want to go to Zimpeto to visit….especially since Zimpeto gets big loafs of bread for breakfast where we get small ones. J

When I arrived back in Dondo after my trip to Zimpeto and South Africa I was only home for two days before leaving again to Buzi to do outreach in the Bush. Pastor Miquel had asked me to preach at his church the first Sunday in November almost two months prior. He had wanted me to come to Buzi even before I went to the states last November so my heart was joyous that I was finally able to go and I knew in my spirit that it was God’s timing. Not knowing what lay ahead of the team and myself we took off Saturday afternoon, November 3. We were a team of 5 which the Holy Spirit had showed me to take with me on this journey. Saturday evening we ended up going to a refugee camp where there were victims from last years flooding still trying to put the pieces back together of life and materials lost in the masses of water. I had asked Joao (one of our team members who works with us here in the center and used to be one of my third year students) to preach on salvation. The word went forth in great clarity and conviction as the Holy Spirit touched those who stood around us that dark, starry evening. It was a night with bugs inundating our flood lights and dust filling the air, but these things did not bother me as Jesus was being made King in this refugee camp that night. The next morning we traveled at least two hours into the bush to a church where they had not had anyone visit them for almost 8 years. What a privilege it was to set foot in that place. When I entered the church I felt the peace of God residing there. It was at that church in the bush with those beautiful people that I preached my first message in Portuguese without having a translator. The only translator was from my Portuguese into the local dialect. I know God is telling me it is time to step over this hurdle as I have not felt confident enough to preach in Portuguese, though I always communicate in it. I have always felt it was a different level of language learning, but that day in that church the Holy Spirit anointed my mouth and filled it with His words in Portuguese. It was awesome and freeing. Upon our departure the church gave us two goats as an offering. They really blessed us. This was my first time getting goats as an offering and it made me remember the first time I received my first chicken offering last year. Now some may wonder what I did with the goats…well, one goat went to our provincial pastor and the other goat was used to feed everyone here at the center lunch and dinner today. After we left this church we headed to Pastor Miquel’s home to pack up and leave, but on our arrival we found that people had gathered in a nearby church and were waiting for us to come. They had been waiting since noon and it was already 4 o’clock. When I heard this information I knew we had to go and minister to these people. As we went I asked the Holy Spirit to do whatever He wanted because I was not going to be concerned about time or gas (as we did not know if we would make it back to Dondo…but He multiplied our diesel). When I entered that church I felt Jesus there. My heart was moved with compassion as I gazed upon these people and knew I had to come back to this church one day. Shortly after this Joao leaned to me and said “Mana Ashlee we have to come back to this church”. We shared a short word of encouragement and then felt like we were supposed to pray for whoever wanted prayer. Well, that was it…..the place lit up with such a strong presence of Jesus…..the power of God was there….deliverances and I am sure healings took place. It was a very powerful time. On the drive back to Dondo my heart was overflowing with joy though my body was tired as I was doing what I was made for…..The Lord did many other wonderful things on this trip not only with the people we ministered to, but also the members of the team I took. My God is a mighty God!!

Upon my arrival back to Dondo I had an opportunity to share my heart with Marcia (our base director). I have been given full release to take a team out to do outreach evangelism. Please pray for me in this area as these trips are not physically easy and are costly. I am asking for Father’s perspective as He knows where and when we should go. He has all the blueprints and is ready to give them as I surrender. I look forward to see all He has in store.

“The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners….” Isaiah 61

May the Lord bless you. May the Lord keep you. May the Lord cause His face to shine on you! Through the joys and through the disappointments; in the scarcity and in the abundance He is still God!! Many blessings and love to each one of you. Thank you for sharing with me in the Harvest. Thank you for laboring with me as we work together to see Jesus ultimately glorified.

Much Love,
Ashlee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home