Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Touching the Father's heart - update September 21, 2007

Greetings to Everyone!

It has been a while since I have sent an update so many may be wondering what has happened to Ashlee??? J I am still here and very alive. These past months have gone by like the wind as there is never a dull time here. Lisa and I are still here alone at the base, but Marcia is returning at the end of September. I can honestly say that I am ready for some Ashlee time. Because of this I am planning on going to Pemba and Nampula October 8th for about 11 days to rest and hang out with Jesus. I am looking forward to visiting some friends I have not seen in a very long time as well. I am ready to have some fun and relaxation.

CLINIC
I usually tell what God is doing in the Bible School and with our boys, but this time I want to tell you about what has been happening in the clinic. As many of you know upon my arrival back to Dondo at the end of April I picked up the responsibility of the clinic again. Nurse Amadi (Mozambiquen that I worked with before I left for the States) had just turned in his resignation and we had hired a new doctor to work in his place. The new doctor’s name is Dr. Neves (“Neves” means snow in English). It has been such a big blessing to work with him. He is a very well respected and well known individual here in Dondo. Though he only comes two days a week to check-up on anyone who is ill he is always available to me when I need to call him. He has been having fun teaching me things as well. My heart is to see him know Jesus with his whole heart and life. God has been using me to be salt and life to him.

Praise report! God has given me a good dentist to take the boys to!! Hallelujah!!! Before Marcia left she had given me a number to a dentist that she sees in Beira when she needs something done with her teeth. I had quite a few of our boys that were having severe problems with their teeth, but did not feel confident in the treatment that they would get at the Beira Central Hospital . I had tried to call this dentist many times, but his phone was always off. I figured he was out of the country and not sure if or when he would be back. It came to a point when I had to take the boys some place so I tried taking them to the hospital where there is a dental clinic, but after three trips there without success I was a bit frustrated. The whole time I was praying for God to show me what to do as I did not want to see their teeth end up in worse shape than when they started. So….I was going to try to make another appointment for our boys to go to the dentist again in Beira when the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said “try Clerysnan again”. Clerysnan is the dentist that Marcia had recommended. So I picked up the phone and tried his number…..this time it started ringing and on the other end a man’s voice said ‘hello’. It was Clerysnan and he had just arrived in Mozambique . He was still at the airport waiting for his bags!! The rest is history from there. J This last Saturday I took 9 of our boys to see him and his wife. Clerysnan and his wife are Christians and basically gave us dental care for the cost of the materials….what an amazing blessing. While each boy was being treated, Clerysnan’s wife was in another room teaching the others about dental care. It was a great lesson for each of them to hear. This Saturday I am taking 5 boys again to see him as they still need treatment. Jesus is faithful in all things….even our physically needs. J

WIDOWS
Here in Mozambique there are so many widows that are forsaken. Our church is filled with many of these women. With this comes responsibility on our part as the family of God. The sad thing is that the church has not been helping them so God has been allowing me to pour out His love on them in a very practical way. Right now one of these women just received cataract surgery. Over three months ago she completely lost her sight. Her family has neglected her and would not help her. There she sat at home with no one to help. When I was made aware of the situation I knew I had to help. When I said that we would help her she got a bit worried because she thought we would also abandon her and then who would she have….but Jesus does not abandon us….He loves us all the way through to wholeness!!! With the help of Mama Maria (who works with our boys and brought this lady to my attention) we found another woman; Catarina, in our church who offered to help this widow/grandma. Mama Catarina has treated her like her own mom who she lost years ago. She is the one who took this widow to the hospital and continues to visit and bring food to her. This widow had surgery on one of her eyes on Wednesday and will be able to come back home on Friday or Saturday. In about 2 months we will help her with the process of getting surgery on her other eye. Mama Maria, Mama Catarina and I are rejoicing and praying for quick recovery.

God has also given me the privilege to help others. Right now we are treating another widow. Her name is Queen in English (Reinha in Portuguese). Her hands, feet and knees are filled with mantikanhas (worms). She also has no one to help her, so we are. When I visited with her and Margarita (another widow who was very ill and we helped) both women were vibrant and full of life and joy. Jesus has really touched my heart for these precious ones that have been forgotten by society, but not by Him!!! J

BIBLE SCHOOL
Just a quick note about Bible School …we have started a new session and I have 9 students right now. Most of them are from the Zambezia and Tete Provinces . Since I will be away for a bit in October I am teaching more often each week so we do not get behind. It has been such a joy teaching. The interaction that I have with my students is fun and causes them to really think and apply the truths of the Word to their lives. So far these 9 students have been a joy to interact with as I challenge them to dig deeper. J

“This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” James 1:27

Many thanks to all those who have been praying for me and supporting me financially. As I have said before, I could not be here if it were not for your sacrifices of love. Thank you!

Truly Together in the Harvest!
Ashlee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home