Monday, July 06, 2009

Blessed Generation - Mozambique - July 7, 2004

Greetings!

I hope this finds you well and full of hope.

As usual things have been very busy here. It has been difficult finding a way to rest amongst the constant demands. When I am home I always have people at my door, which include the constant flow of our boys coming for various reasons. Some simply need one-on-one time while others have medical or school issues. I’m finding it difficult to find spaces where I can just hide away and have some alone time. When I try to hide away it seems that the calls at the door seem to inhibit me from doing so. I am learning better what it is to delegate which has helped with the workload. Samuel has been a great support to me in this area. Thankfully we have been able to talk almost every day since I have been here in Mozambique. He is such a blessing to my life. Being so far apart has not been fun, but we are growing and drawing close.

June 7 was an amazing day that I will remember for a long time. It was a special day that was set aside to gather with the group of kids that I am working with from the community. This is the group from Rainha’s church who take part in the agriculture project. The kids wanted to have a time with me to welcome me back so we got together to have lunch and lots of fun. I really wanted it to be a time of freedom for them. A time where they could forget about the hardships of life and just be kids again. J And that is exactly what happened! Since June 7 was a Sunday the group invited me to their church because they had a surprise for me. I went there not knowing what to expect, but felt so honored just by their invitation. After the service had gone on for quite a while and the air full of song Rainha walked up front with many of the smallest children from the group. They sang some songs, which were very cute to hear as they sung with all of their hearts. When they finished Rainha spoke a bit about the group and talked about me a bit. She then invited me up front and said that the children wanted to present me with something. The next thing that I realize is that there are 4 little ones (around 4 – 5 years old) walking from the back of the church towards me with two capulanas in their hands. All of the children sang along with Rainha as they presented me with the capulanas. Rainha took one of the capulanas and wrapped it around me as a skirt and the other one was placed on my head as the Mozambiquen women wear them here. This was deeply touching to me. Here I hardly ever hear thank you or see such an act of gratitude. It always seems to be the opposite of asking for more or what is given is not enough because the need is so great. The pulls and needs are many. As I stood in front of that church on that Sunday morning I expressed my gratitude for their act of kindness and told them that without the help of people who have given financially I could not help like I have. I told them that is was because of Jesus’ love and glorified Him for His faithfulness and goodness.

After the service we (Rainha, the kids and myself) hoped into a big flatbed truck and went to a house that Rainha and her husband are in the process of building. We had an awesome time. After having lunch together I spent some time pouring words of life into them by encouraging them to remember God’s promises over their lives. We spoke about the dreams they have in their hearts and to seek God for his guidance. I also spoke to them about the power of life and death that they have in their words by challenging them to step up to a higher standard in their communication to others and to themselves. During this time we chose a name for our group as the kids had expressed how much they wanted to erase the image of orphans off of themselves. One of the boys (Domingos) gave the idea of the group being called “Geracao Abencoado” (Blessed Generation) because blessings from heaven are showing upon them now. I knew that this was to be the name when I first heard it, but we talked about it as a group and the vote was unanimous in favor of this name. We are officially called “Blessed Generation”! What a great proclamation!!

We ended our time with lots of fun by playing with balloons and bobbing for apples. I had never seen a group of kids have so much fun with 3 simple balloons as they raced and laughed together trying to hit them up into the air. Sometimes one of them would grab it and run as the rest ran after with excitement trying to catch them. Bobbing for apples was definitely a first for them. It was so fun watching them with joy trying to grab the apples with their teeth as the others gathered around to cheer them on and give them advice on how to go about this tricky task. It was great. They told me afterwards that they don’t remember the last time they have had an apple. It was a huge treat. Here in Dondo apples are an expensive fruit that are a special commodity. Instead of using money to buy one apple most families would prefer to purchase fish to make a meal. Many of these kids in this group miss meals each day or eat very simply so to have something like an apple was very special. I had also made them pumpkin bread and oatmeal cookies, which they absolutely loved. I like making things that they have never eaten before to bless them. Their expressions are always so much fun to hear and see.

Our return to the church that night on the back of the flatbed truck was one of joyous singing. When we arrived at the church for the kids to participate in the evening service people were looking on in wonder as they saw them so full of freedom and joy. It was absolutely wonderful to see this group able to play and be free again like children as youth should be. It was a special time that we will always remember. I believe that God has other plans for this group in the months ahead. I would really like to take them on outreaches into other churches where we can minister together to bless other places. This will depend on finances. I’m praying for ideas for this group on how to invest into their lives in a significant way. I believe in August we will start preparing the field again to plant for next season, but outside this project Rainha and myself would like to do other things with them.

God is so faithful. Please continue to hold me in prayer as I really need his guidance and wisdom. Since my arrival back He has been revealing even more about the culture here and I have been confronting these things in love and truth.

Thank you again for your support financially and in prayer as I could not be here without you. We are truly together in the harvest.

With His Love and Grace,
Ashlee

P.S. When I was in Washington a first grade teacher invited me to speak to her class about Mozambique. Upon my departure from America they sent about 40 friendship bracelets with me to bless the children here in Mozambique. These bracelets went to this group of children that Rainha and I work with. Thank you again to that first grade class and the teacher who had a vision and heart of love to bless the children here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home